USING WIRE ROPE SLINGS SAFELY
Wire rope slings are important lifting accessories used in lifting operations. They are commonly used across different industries especially when rigging a load. Care and safe use of wire rope slings is an absolute necessity to ensure maintenance.
- Do not attempt lifting operations unless you understand the use of the equipment, the slinging procedures and the mode factors to be applied.
- Do not use defective slings or accessories.
- Do not force, hammer, or wedge slings or fittings into position. They must fit freely. Check to ensure the correct engagement of fittings and appliances.
- Position hooks of multi-leg slings facing outward from the load. Do not lift on the point of a hook.
- Ensure that the wire rope is not twisted or knotted.
- Ensure the effective diameter of pins, hooks etc upon which soft eyes fit is at least 2 x the wire rope diameter.
- Position the splices of endless slings in the standing part of the sling away from hooks and fittings.
- Never join wire rope slings made from different lays of rope together as this will cause them to un-lay thus seriously affecting their capacity.
- Back hook free legs to the master link to avoid lashing legs which might accidentally become engaged or otherwise become a hazard.
- Take the load steadily and avoid shock loads
- Do not leave suspended loads unattended. In an emergency cordon off the area or contact JC International: Lagos: 0805 519 2672, Port Harcourt: 0805 599 9315